Finance committee Wednesday 2 September 2020
PRESENT: The Mayor: Councillor K Henderson (Chairman)
Councillors: Mrs V M Higgs; D Little; R Lloyd
Officers: Mrs S Saunders (Town Clerk); G Shaw (Treasurer)
8. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor J Thomas. Councillor R Lloyd was appointed as a substitute for Councillor J Thomas.
It was RESOLVED that the Minutes of the Meeting of the Committee held on the 29th June 2020 be confirmed as a correct record, and signed by the Chairman.
10. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.
11. TREASURY MANAGEMENT POLICY STATEMENT AND INVESTMENT STRATEGY 2020/21
The Treasurer took Members through the Treasury Management Policy Statement & Investment Strategy 2020/21. It was RESOLVED that the report be sent to Council for approval.
Members thanked the Treasurer for his informative report.
12. FINANCIAL REGULATIONS
The Treasurer took Members through the Financial Regulations. Members agreed that the Treasurer investigate the potential of online payments to replace the issuing of some cheques, although they were happy with the current system.
It was RESOLVED that the report be sent to Council for approval.
13. UPDATE FOLLOWING LOCALISM WORKING PARTY MEETING ON RIVERSIDE PADDLING POOL
- Quotation from Go Aqua – A quote for yearly maintenance and repair to the paddling pool had been received. A discussion ensued and it was agreed to repair the surface of the pool £6,073.47 plus VAT and look at the maintenance quotation further.
- Quotation from Ustigate Waterplay – This had not been received in time for the meeting.
- Quotation from Splash – This had not been received in time for the meting.
14. UPDATE FOLLOWING LOCALISM WORKING PARTY MEETING ON RIVERSIDE MEADOWS TOILET BLOCK
The Town Clerk informed Members that several companies had visited the Riverside toilet block to provide quotations for opening/closing & cleaning and to provide for hygiene services. Several quotes were awaited and once these were received, details would be provided.
The Heads of Terms from Wyre Forest District Council had been received and were being looked at.
The information be noted.
15. UPDATE FROM THE TOWN CLERK FOLLOWING MEETINGS WITH CONSULTANTS FOR HR AND HEALTH AND SAFETY
A service proposal from Ellis Whittam had been received for Health & Safety and HR services. The Council currently held Service Level Agreements with Wyre Forest District Council but these had been reviewed. It was RESOLVED to transfer both services to Ellis Whittam on a 5 year deal.
16. STAFFING – RETIREMENT OF PARKS OPERATIVE AND RECRUITMENT OF PARKS AND OPEN SPACES OPERATIVE
The Town Clerk advised that the Council would need to advertise for a new Parks and Open Spaces Operative in the coming months due to the retirement of the existing member of staff.
It was RESOLVED that the job be advertised.
17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Members were informed of the following:
- A contribution of £1,000 was to be paid to Bentley’s in Stourport following a request from the Council that the front of one added into this year’s budget.
- The Local Government Association had agreed a 2.75% pay increase for all staff with effect from April 2020. The Town Council had budgeted for a 2% pay increase so this would mean approximately £1,500 more than budgeted.
- The Civic Hall had still not opened due to Covid-19 and this would be closely monitored. The Town Clerk was in constant contact with them.
- It was agreed that a job evaluation be carried out for the Parks Superintendent role.
The Meeting closed at 11.55am.